Thursday, May 17, 2012

How to Write a Letter of Request


 Request letters are something that one can put to good use when one has to get some job done or wants something from an official.

Purpose of Writing a Request Letter

The purpose can be anything ranging from asking for a promotion within your company, asking for a transfer for some personal reasons, asking for some information which you do not have access to, requesting for an interview, requesting a reconsideration, requesting for a recommendation letter, etc. The scope for asking for this letter is not restricted to official purposes alone, but at the same time it is necessary to remember that one is asking for a favor here and the person whom you address has all the rights to deny it.

Introduce Yourself

Give reference to the recipient about yourself, in other words an introduction, and also information about the request you are making. For example, if it is related to acquiring refund of fees you paid for taking admission in a college, write the receipt number and date as reference to your issue and then write the body of the letter. Another example can be for rechecking your answer sheet of an examination, kindly check the sample request letter in the following section.

Language of the Content

The language for writing this letter should be formal and very polite if it is something related to wanting official information. In case you are writing for acquiring a duplicate copy of mark sheet or any other important document, the tone of the letter should be apologetic.

Mention the Reason

It is advised to cite reasons for requesting whatever you are asking for. It adds credibility and shows that you are responsible too. The example given below will elaborate more on it.

Request Letter Sample

From
Torque Earnest
Grade 10 Student
Section A
Central School

Date : 04/27/12

To
Principal
Central School
Washington DC

Subject : Request for rechecking my Mathematics answer sheet of May 2012 (final examination)

Respected Sir,

I write to you with a lot of hope and an earnest request. I am due for getting inducted in the Air Force on June 29, 2012. However, the only thing which will stop me from joining the air force is my mathematics marks. Sir, I request you to kindly get my answer sheet re-evaluated as I am very sure I had written it well. Could it be possible that my answer sheet was interchanged or something of this kind?

I have cleared the National Defence Services Examination and appeared for the selection interview too. I have attached the letter from the Air Force Headquarters along with this letter. If I am able to fetch 60% marks in Mathematics, I will fit into their criteria.

Sir, my future lies in your hands now and yet I can only request and hope for the best. In case, it is not possible for do the needful Sir, I shall remain obliged to you for at least considering this letter of mine.

Yours faithfully,
Torque Earnest
Roll No. 1248

Enclosure: Joining letter from Air Force Headquarters

With this request letter writing example as a guideline, you can draft your letter and do remember to furnish any documents you mention in the letter.
For more letter of request visit this website bestsampleresume.com

No comments:

Post a Comment